05 October 2006

Secret Pal 9 - Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love knitting with natural fibers and natural fiber blends--- loved working with cashmerino! Even though it has it's place, I really don't enjoy working with acrylic --- too squeeky! But, I'll try anything once!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I keep straight needles in a pretty crystal vase, circulars wound up in a metal tin w/ my crochet hooks, dpns in a roll-up fabric case, and my colored Denise needles in their fugly case.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for a couple years --- and have become completely addicted to it. I am currently working on Level I of TKGA's master knitter program. I feel confident that I am between intermediate and advanced. (I won't call myself advanced until I pass Level II!)

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope!

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I love things that smell clean --- nothing too sweet or overly flowerly. I can't stop burning this new candle that is lemongrass & grapefruit scented --- It's amazing. I am a HUGE fan of soaking in the tub --- especially when the weather turns cool here in Chicago.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh - for sure! Swedish fish, licorice (black and red), dark chocolate,

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I recently learned how to use a handle spindle. I'm going to take a second lesson and learn the basics of the spinning wheel. As of right now, I think I'm more of a knitter than a spinner. Before I started knitting, I taught myself to crochet --- then I came to my senses and realized that two sticks are way more fun than one! I love to garden in the summer and have been begging my husband to build a darkroom in the basement so I can satisfy my inner-photographer.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I know everyone says this, but I really like all kinds of music --- even a few rap songs! Some of my favorite artists include Tom Waits, Nina Simone, The Kinks, David Bowie, Death Cab for Cutie, Spoon, The Gorillas, ...I love learning about new up & coming bands too.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
For the last 20 years, the majority of my wardrobe has consisted of black. But that's not a fun color to knit with. Since I began knitting, I've been completely in love with the color orange. I really like jewel tones...deep, saturated hues of red, purple, gold, emerald green...

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
It's just me, my husband, and my silly mutt, Cleo.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Have you ever visited Chicago in the winter?! Of course I wear scarves, hats, mittens, gloves, wool socks, heavy sweaters --- it's all about layering! I have to admit, not a fan of the poncho --- I made one a few years ago and wore it once. I've been thinking about frogging it and recycling the yarn for something I would use.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Last year I was addicted to knitting fingerless gloves. My hands get cold in the winter and they are great to wear while working on the computer. It looks like socks are going to get me through this winter!

13. What are you knitting right now?
I started my very first pair of socks --- I'm almost done with the first one. I started stashing sock yarn and can't wait to dive into some new patterns. I am also working on my Masters swatches --- personal goal to submit my finished binder by the end of October.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love to receive handmade gifts! It's such a nice feeling to receive a one-of-kind gift that someone you know created. Everytime you wear/use it --- hopefully, you think of them!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Wow --- tough question. I like straight and circular...and prefer bamboo, alumium/Addi's to plastic. I really like the Knit Picks dpns too! They're really nice and pointy.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope - it's on my Christmas list this year --- for sure!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
This damn Lace Leaf Sweater. It's all knitted --- I basically need to sew the arms to the body and voila! a completed project. I started this project in June or July I think. I really tend to finish one project before starting another --- I think this is the longest something has sat untouched.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I was born the day before Thanksgiving --- it's always been my favorite. My best-buddy refers to Thanksgiving as "Christmas without the stress of gift-giving." I like that.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn --- duh! Actually, besides yarn, I'm not really a collector.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any magazine subscriptions --- but purchase Interweave as soon as it hits my LYS. I really like the designs in Loop-d-Loop --- but haven't had time to find a used copy online. I'm also saving to get the Options Needles from Knit Picks --- I've heard nothing but good things.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I am really curious about "the magic loop" and knitting two socks at the same time. Backwards knitting looks cool too. Heck, I really want to learn any techinque I don't know right now.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I'm going to consider myself a sock knitter (even though I haven't finished my first pair yet). I wear a ladies US size 9 shoe - foot length = 9.75" [25cm] Not sure what other measurements you might need.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
November 21

No comments: